Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is the Philippine government computerization worth it?

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9914/pagibigfundms8.jpg
A diskette from PAGIBIG FUND

Thank you very much PAGIBIG FUND for giving me a problem. How the hell can I access that diskette you mailed me when diskette drives are a thing from the past?

It made me wonder. The Philippines paid a huge deal* of money to "computerize" the government and I don't think diskettes will save them money. In fact, it might cost them more!

I wonder if they've heard of Rewritable CD's already that costs around 5 to 7 pesos each? A good one might cost you 10 to 15 bucks but I would think that it is much cheaper and stores more information than diskettes.

To support my statement, here is Wikipedia's definition of diskette/ floppy discs:

A floppy disk is an obsolescent data storage medium that is composed of a disk of thin, flexible ("floppy") magnetic storage medium encased in a square or rectangular plastic shell. Floppy disks are read and written by a floppy disk drive or FDD, the initials of which should not be confused with "fixed disk drive", which is another term for a hard disk drive. Invented by IBM, floppy disks in 8-inch (200 mm), 5¼-inch (133⅓ mm), and the newest and most common 3½-inch (90 mm) formats enjoyed many years as a popular and ubiquitous form of data storage and exchange, from the mid-1970s to the late 1990s
Yes, they upgraded from the manual hand/ type-writing but, did they choose the optimal choice? Now, they are giving people problems. I don't want to go to a computer shop to access that or else, I might be suspected of technological sabotage when a virus from that computer shop enters the government computer from the diskette I will re-submit to them.

===
*I tried researching the amount spent by the Philippine Government on their computerization program but currently can't find any information on that. I will do more research soon.


7 comments:

ohmski said...

hahaha... diskette pa din cla? lol

Mike Abundo said...

This is our government's idea of cutting-edge technology.

Cheftonio said...

@ohmski, oo! can you believe it?????? yun ibang bansa, upgrade ng upgrade. tayo paurong yun upgrade!

Cheftonio said...

@mike abundo,

Yes! The best among the rest!!!

1.44mb capacity!!! wohoooo!

Dear Hiraya said...

diskette? kumusta naman! napakalotech!! grrr!!

http://fjordz-hiraya.blogspot.com

Cheftonio said...

@Fjordan,

nabubulsa yun ibang budget eh. lol

Anonymous said...

3rd world yo!