Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How to Test Airtight Containers

A week ago, I purchased some Airtight containers in Puregold. I wasn't really planning to purchase one but since it was on sale at 50% off (Paid around P120 for it), I decided to get several of them. Since there was no "demo" unit displayed (Like the ones where they put the container upside down with liquid in it), I just trusted that there would be no problems.

My plan was to change all the food containers (Cereal in boxes, sugar, salt, rice etc..) in my kitchen cabinet and replace them with airtight ones. Initial reason is to keep the contents fresh and dry and to prevent ants from smelling the food (like sugar) because it already happened once and like most of us, I am sure you too are not fond of ants and other insects touching your food.

When I got home, I wanted to make sure that it is indeed airtight. There's no other better way to test it than checking if there's a leak when turned upside down because water is good at making their way out even if there's a slightest crack. This is why it is almost impossible to have a house without a water leak problem. I've had my fair share of leaks.
How to test if your airtight container is really airtight:
Step 1: Put water in it
Step 2: Turn it upside down or sideways.
Step 3: Make sure that your container and lid is dry. Double-triple check just to make sure.
See the gap between the lid and the container? Make sure it is dry including all nooks and crannies of the lid. Within 3 minutes, you are sure to get results already! I bought 3 and tested and re-tested it because one was leaking. I tried interchanging the lid because it might have an effect until I finally concluded that one lid was really defective. After 3 days, I went back to Puregold to have it exchanged and they were skeptical about it. I find it funny on how they did the test on my container.

My Xeonic 100% leakproof and airtight container leaked
How not to test it like how Puregold did it:
They filled the container with water without drying it. Turned it upside down and told me after a minute, "Look sir, there's no leak!". How would they know if the container itself is still wet? Haaay.

Left: Still testing it ; Right: Sugar ready for safe keeping
I told them that I wouldn't hassle myself and change an item to a similar item if it wasn't defective. What I did was, I asked a dry cloth (basahan) from them and wiped it dry. Make sure to wipe every nook and cranny of it until it is dry. Turned it and after around 2 minutes, it leaked. They just kept quiet and changed my item. I wasn't angry at all by the way. I just wanted to prove them wrong because they insisted that it was impossible for it to leak because it said there that it is 100% airtight and 100% leak proof. Well, factory defects do happen.


The brand I got was Xeonic. According to them, it's a sister company of Biokips. When buying Biokips or Xeonic, better waste 2-3 minutes to make sure and check if it really is airtight and leakproof by doing the tests above before leaving the store. Otherwise, you might have to waste your time and make another trip there.

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


-->

0 comments: