Monday, February 25, 2013

SM Megamall Cyberzone Deals and Thrills - February 2013


Last weekend (Feb 23, 2013), I decided to roam around SM Megamall's cyberzone and check out good deals. If I have the luxury of time, I could have spent an entire afternoon checking out each store looking and trying out gadgets! Talk about free thrills in life! :)

Here's some deals and gadgets I got to try that afternoon:

LG Optimus VU P895
First impression? It's so squarish. It needs a little getting used to when holding it but it really is literally like a smaller iPad running on Android. Wasn't able to test it fully but it is an interesting phone overall. Basic swiping to the left and right produced a smooth user experience. Since there's no price displayed inside Jump Center, I checked out the stores outside and saw one for sale.
Summary of features and specs:
HD-IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
768 x 1024 pixels, 5.0 inches (~256 ppi pixel density)
3.5mm audio jack, WiFi, HSDPA, NFC, Bluetooth, NO card slot
8mp camera with geo-tagging
Quad-core 1.5GHz
1GB RAM
Default OS - v4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
Non-removable 2100mAh battery

Quadrant Standard test of Sony Xperia V
Sony Xperia V is interesting because of these unique features:
IP57 certified - dust and water resistant
Water proof up to 1 meter and 30 minutes

Not like I'm going to swim with it but it provides additional protection to the common elements like water and dust. Besides, after Samsung released their latest mobile phones, I just got more interested in the Android OS.

Here's the result of the Quadrant Standard I ran on the Sony Xperia V in Jump Center:
Quadrant Standard Score of 5981
Summary of specs and features:
TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
720 x 1280 pixels, 4.3 inches (~342 ppi pixel density)
LTE, HSDPA, Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC
13 megapixel camera with geo-tagging
1080p @ 30fps continuos autofocus video with video light and stabilizer
default OS - v4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
Dual-code 1.5GHz Krait
1GB RAM
Expandable memory up to 32GB
8GB internal memory

I think the features and specs + Quadrant score is pretty competitive comparing it to other similarly priced phones. This is even better than the Sharp Aquos SH930w that I reviewed recently.


Gadgets for sale and on Sale
Dodo case for iPad 2 | Php 700 @ Power Mac Center
I've always wanted one for my iPad. Unfortunately, mine is an iPad 1. This case is selling for $59 USD (around P2400+ in the US and around 3500 pesos here in Ph if I'm not mistaken.) It's now on sale for only 700 pesos! Good deal!

Ozaki Bubble Case for iPad 1 | Php 200.00 @ Power Mac Center
Just last week, I bought myself one from eBay. It's also a great deal because for 200 pesos, you get yourself a branded iPad case with free screen protector! Screen protectors for iPad costs around 400 pesos in Greenhills. Just get this instead and you'll also have a free case!

Canon FS200 Video Camera | Php 9,500.00 @ PC Gadgets
I've always wanted a video camera but I don't want to buy one. I've got tons of gadgets already that I can't even use because I just need it for a short period of time. I want a video camera to document my trips but sometimes, it's hard to lug around a video camera if you already have an iPad, multiple mobile phones, huge bulky SLR and other gadgets with you! My gadget bag usually weighs 5kg when I go to trips and because of that, I get tired easily when doing long walks.
Not sure if this is a good deal but it says there "SALE!" Always a nice word to hear and read.

Lenovo S800 | P6,500.00 @ Mega Exchange Cellular Shop (Not discounted)
Went it Mega Exchange and as usual, the shop is crowded. They have a great display of available mobile phones on the left (with prices already posted) and to the right are cubicle-like slots where you can talk one-on-one with their sales personnels. Ingenius and less chaotic that way.

The Lenovo S800 is pretty much a basic phone but what stands out is the transparent LCD of it. You can pretty much see through the LCD of this phone. (Not discounted)

Motorola EX119 | P4,450.00 @ Motorola Kiosk (Not discounted)
This phone caught my interest because it is dual sim with WiFi and has a physical keypad. I'm not a fan of touch and type phones but this is. I got to try an actual unit and my interest died as soon as I tried the default OS. It is slow and unresponsive plus the screen is really small to do anything productive. Even just surfing the internet with this phone is a problem. You need to keep scrolling down and again, since it is not that responsive, you need to scroll down thrice and get one scroll down response from it. The keypad is okay though. Not recommended. Saw this phone at the Motorola kiosk. They are selling it for 4,490 pesos. NOT recommended at all.

i-helicopter | P4,990.00 @ Mega Exchange (Not discounted)
It's a toy obviously without any useful functions other than to entertain you. The problem with toys like this is the battery life. I bought one before (R/C) and it didn't even last for 2 months. This is more like a novelty toy and is not recommended for kids.

Samsung Galaxy Grand | P16,990.00 (Not discounted)
It's new, it looks like a bloated Samsung Galaxy S3 but it's dual sim. I've been eyeing this phone ever since it came out. The S3 mini has no appeal to me and if you plan to get the S3 mini, get this instead or the original size S3. The S3 mini is not worth it unless it is priced at 10,000 (as of writing date). This Grand is really something else. Tested it and ran Antutu benchmark on it in one of the gadget shops. Yielded different results. Not sure why.

Kata
It looks and sounds like another China-made OEM phone / tablet brand. They got a mini tablet on display there for sub 5k price and when I inquired about the battery capacity, they said that it's around 2,000mAh. That won't last you 2 hours of continuous usage. I know that there is a camera bag brand called Kata. Not sure if they are similar or just coincidentally exactly the same.

Oh, and I bought a micro-USB to lightning adapter for my iPhone 5. Forgot the shop name. It's near the kiosk that sells batteries. Bought it for P800.00. Will go back and check out store name soon.

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


-->

0 comments: