Saturday, January 31, 2015

iOS 8.1.3 Update


Today, I updated two iPhone units to iOS version '8.1.3'. If your device is Jailbroken, do not update. There's no known Jailbreak for it yet but otherwise, go ahead. Here are the changes:

*Reduces the amount of storage required to perform a software update
*Fixes an issue that prevented some users from entering their Apple ID password for Messages and FaceTime
*Addresses an issue that caused Spotlight to stop displaying app results
*Fixes an issue which prevented multitasking gestures from working on iPad
*Adds new configuration options for education standardised testing.

You should definitely update if you are affected by any of the above mentioned items. If not, users should update in general, particularly because of the first bullet. It now reduces the amount of free space needed to update over the air (Yey!). I had a very hard time updating the last few releases because it was so hassle to need to be connected before I can update, because my iPhone 6 Plus is just 16GB. After this 8.1.3, hopefully, I can update OTA.

As I have read, the 8.1.3 update is just at 250MB. Since I wasn't able to download the previous updates, guess what? I downloaded a total of 2GB of data for this update. Yup, better find a stable internet as you don't want your download to get cut at 99%. What's weird is, Apple should allow people to just save the update and install it to another iOS device rather than the need to keep on downloading it on every single device. It might be part of their security initiative but for safety's sake, I will *try* to understand the hassle.

Just so you know, I used two different networks to download my 8.1.3 update. The time consumed is far apart from each other. My Smart LTE downloaded around 2GB of data in just under 30 minutes and my home internet (won't mention brand, not from MVP group) took 6 hours to download the same. Am I glad I have LTE.

Anyway, it's a weekend so download that update now so next time, you can update OTA!

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

-->

0 comments: