Sunday, January 30, 2011

MiLi Power King Review

The moment I heard MiLi has a portable power pack for laptops, I immediately got excited about it because based from my previous experiences with other MiLi products, it really performed well.


http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4606/milipowerking011.jpg




As usual, the packaging is nice. It has a nice Apple-ish feel. It can charge virtually anything you have on-the-go (except macbooks as of the moment) because of the wide range of connectors included in the package -- you name it! laptops,  digital cameras, china netbooks, mobile phones, other electronic gadgets.. it has a lot of connectors included I tell you!

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4087/milipowerking032.jpg

This is called the MiLi Power King. It's not as bulky as I expected but it packs a punch of energy! To know how much power this can carry, I made a series of tests. In the first part, I will use my laptop without the Power King and the latter part, using the Power King.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/718/milipowerking020.jpg



http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7373/milipowerking039.jpg 

I will first make a performance review of the MiLi Power King with my laptop. I'll make a separate review for other gadgets using the MiLi Power King. If you don't want to read the test notes below this, I suggest you go directly to the 'conclusion from the tests' part to save your time.


Situation 1 - First test (Laptop using the laptop battery)
-Me, using my Twinhead Core 2 Duo 11" laptop powered by the laptop battery only.
-I started to use it on 10:37am at 86% battery life
-It died around 11:07am with 10% battery life left

Conclusion:
-In 30 minutes, it used up 76% of power
-Based on the given data, I would assume that every 10 minutes, I use up 25% of power. Therefore, in 40 minutes, I would drain out my laptop battery.


Situation 2 - Charging my laptop battery
-Me, using my Twinhead Core 2 Duo 11" laptop. Charging the battery via AC with 10% left.
-I started charging at around 11:08am (Battery at 10%)
-It went to 100% at 12:25pm (Battery at 100%)

Conclusion:
-From 10% to 100%, my laptop battery took around 1 hour and 17 minutes to fully charge.


Situation 3 - Second test (Laptop using the laptop battery)
-On a separate time, I'm going to use my laptop, powered by the laptop battery. Status is at 60%
-I started using my laptop on 3:06pm
-It died around 3:26pm with 10% battery life left

Conclusion:
-In 20 minutes, I used up 50% of my laptop battery
-Given the above data, I would have used 25% of battery life every 10 minutes.


Situation 4 - Laptop with laptop battery, charged via MiLi Power King
-I started charging my laptop battery with 10% left at around 02:20pm
-My laptop was fully charged around around 3:20pm

Conclusion:
-In just 1 hour, MiLi Power King fully charged my laptop battery

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5442/milipowerking005.jpg

Situation 5 - Laptop (w/out battery and AC) and the MiLi Power King
- My laptop, without battery and not connected to the AC power
- I connected it to the MiLi Power King which is 100% fully charged
- Started using the laptop around 8:20pm
- Drained the MiLi power king around 10:31pm

Conclusion:
- Without charging the laptop battery (meaning no battery connected to the laptop) and plugging in the MiLi Power king to the laptop, I used it for 2 hours and 11 minutes.

Conclusion from the tests:

1) My laptop battery can only carry 40 minutes worth of power but the MiLi Power King can carry 2hours and 11 minutes of power
*Do take note that my laptop is already 3 years old and the MiLi Power King is less than a week old

2) It took my laptop battery 1 hour and 17 minutes to fully charge via AC power, but it only took my laptop battery 1 hour to fully charge using the MiLi Power King
*I find this weird because I would think AC power would charge my battery faster versus the MiLi Power King

3) Given the actual data above, I can use my laptop battery (100%) and MiLi Power King (100%) for 2 hours and 51 minutes. WOW! Never imagined doing that with my laptop!

4) To fully charge my laptop battery, it took 1 hour and 17 minutes. To fully charge the MiLi Power King, it took 2 hours and 10 minutes. To fully charge both, it takes 3 hours and 27 minutes.

(Using MiLi Power King and Laptop Battery)
Total charge time for both: 3 hrs 27 mins
Total use time for both: 2 hrs 51 mins



Q and A / Facts
How fast did the MiLi Power King fully charge your laptop?
- It took only an hour to fully charge my laptop via the MiLi Power king versus the 1 hour and 17 minutes via AC Power

How much time does the MiLi Power King need to fully charge?
-It takes around 2 hours and 10 minutes to fully charge the MiLi Power King

Is it worth buying?
If you have the budget, go for it! It has one year warranty too!
If you need extra portable power, go for it!
 
What's in the package?

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5668/milipowerking059.jpg

Next review would be done using the Apple iPad and the MiLi Power King.

Feel free to drop your comments!

Cheftonio

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for this review. I am wondering how much is depleted and remaining in Power king after u charge ur laptop?

Cheftonio said...

My bad. forgot to include that data. Will update the post as soon as I find the said info.

*looking for the data sheet I made* :)

Anonymous said...

How do you charge the Power King.

Anonymous said...

Good review BUT you should have mentioned the weight of the Mili Power King.

Anonymous said...

The weight is actually ok. The sad part is that it actually lasted only 2 hours.(am a owner of a power king and my own experience with it is the same) My laptop battery is 4400mah and last an hour. Though a 18000mah battery pack should last more than 2 hours.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience.
is this compatible with Asus Zenbook UX21E specifically one the provided tips?

Anonymous said...

is this compatible with Asus Zenbook UX21E specifically one the provided tips? Thanks for sharing your experience.