Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fully Customized Running Shoes - Somnio

Just this year, I tried out running and it was a good physical activity for a change. The only physical activity I do before was move my fingers, typing in the keyboard. Since I started running, my knee hurts after every run. I then realized that maybe because I was running using my badminton shoes. A few weeks later, I decided to use my trekking shoes for running (*face palm#2*).

Of course, neither solved my knee problem. After being encouraged to buy a real running shoe, I went to Adidas that weekend to get one and I wrote something about choosing the right running shoes for you. Problem is, only the problem for one knee was solved. The other knee was still hurting even after wearing the Adidas running shoe. (Using the Adidas shoe, the arch area of my feet is also reddish and sore after running)

Earlier, I went to SM Megamall and I checked out the G3 store selling running shoes (G3 is located at the 2nd level of SM Megamall Building B, near the parking exit). It was a very unique experience, very different from the 'commercialized' testing procedure that Adidas does to you when purchasing a running shoe. You can even have alignment tests here even if you're not purchasing -- just to know the difference, try it yourself.

Laser Alignment System - Used to measure various aspects of your foot
What they'll do is, they will let you step on that contraption (You put the line you see there in between your big toe and the finger next to your big toe). After that, they will point a laser to your knee and let you slowly bend your knees several times to check the alignment.


The laser that checks your alignment
Then, using that small, yellow thing, they will insert it below the middle portion of your foot to check your arch type.

The mountain-like wooden thing measures your foot's arch
Other stuff this system measures - size, type of Ind-X (Read more about this later)
The green thing is called the Ind-X
Ind-X is inserted at the bottom rear part of your shoe. This is interchangeable, depending on your weight. The Orange color supports weights up to 119lbs. The green color supports weights up to 180lbs and the blue color supports weight up to 200+++ lbs.

Below are some of the designs you can see in the store. (4 different designs to choose from)
Lightweight Running Shoe from Somnio

Lightweight Running Shoes for men from Somnio

Lightweight Running Shoes for men from Somnio

Stability running shoes for men from Somnio

Lightweight running shoes for women from Somnio
I also asked why they have a limited number of designs. According to them, their goal is to provide comfort and function. "You won't look at your shoe or others won't look at your shoe when you're running." They have a point there. Hey, their designs don't look bad, right? I mean, they have even better designs compared to other running shoes out there!

Somnio display inside the G3 store (SM Megamall 2nd level, Building B)

Buy these for your own running shoes! Varus Wedges, customized just for you!
This is one of the coolest thing with Somnio. Their goal is to help runners find the perfect running shoe (comfort and function) for them. It's very unselfish of them to provide these soles and inserts they call varus wedges, so you can put them in your own running shoes! These varus wedges can also work with other brands of running shoes! Not only that, they will also do the laser assessment thing, for free!

Actually, those inserts can also be used in leather shoes, sneakers and other shoes that you may have! Just have your feet assessed, purchase the right varus wedge and insert them into the pair of shoe that you're using!

Below is a photo of my shoe! :) What's cool about Somnio is, you get to choose the design! In Adidas, I have to settle with the design where they tell me to choose after the test. In Somnio, you choose the design first (or choose if you want stability or a lightweight pair) then they assess your feet.

My Somnio Mission Control Running Shoes

Somnio Mission Control Running Shoes


If you notice, the packaging for the shoe is made from recycled materials. Very eco-friendly! Kudos to Somnio!


Somnio - Built for the long run


Can't wait to try it out! Might go around a few rounds this weekend just to try it out! I'll post an update if my knee and arch area will still ache. Excited! :)

Cheftonio

3 comments:

eRLyN said...

hala, how much naman kaya?

Cheftonio said...

Not sure about the other pair of shoes. Mine was around 7k :)

Cheftonio said...

Follow-up comments upon testing:

Over months of use and running, I can now testify that my knees weren't hurting anymore after every jog when I switched to Somnio.

I even used this to run my longest run ever yet (I won't disclose the distance since it's not much of an achievement) and I didn't experience my usual knee pain.

This shoe is worth every cent.