Saturday, June 18, 2011

Have You Tried Claiming Packages at the Post Office?

It all started when I got a registry notice from the Philippine Postal Corporation.

Last June 2, 2011,  I got a registry notice from Philippine Postal Corporation. It's the first time I got one and I have no idea what that thing is about. After reading some vague instructions at the back of the card, I suspected that it was a package. Thing is, I didn't order anything.

Can you understand the writing written under "Claim at Window"?
4 days after, I decided to claim my "package". Problem is, the registry notice card I got was very vague that it wasn't even indicated where to claim it nor where the post office was. There was no address nor a phone number to contact to. In short, I didn't even know if this was the real thing or if this was just a scam.

Back part of the registry notice



What's wrong with our post office?
First, the website.
You cannot find any single contact number in that website other than the phone number to call when you want to have a door to door service from them. I tried calling that number and no one even picked up.Useless.

Phil Post Help Center

Phil Post About Page turned into a Wordpress About page

Phil Post Customer Guide

Phil Post - Inside Phil Post info tab


Second, they should put the location and contact info of all the city post offices in their website. There's none as of the moment and I don't see the sense of them putting all the pricing and packages when people won't know where to go. In fact, by searching Philippine Postal Corporation in Google, I opened the results one by one until I saw another blogger blogging about her experience in claiming her package.

Her blog has more useful information compared to the Phil Post website

Third, no instructions in the supposedly useful Philippine Postal Corporation website. Upon seeing her blog, that's the only time I discovered that I had to pick up the package in the post office of the city you are in. Also, the writing in my card was SO readable (please detect sarcasm) that even the person  in the post office cannot read it. (See my registry notice card photo above)

The branch will depend on the shipping address you provided. For example, since I reside in Quezon City, my parcel arrived at the Quezon City Central Post Office.
(Second paragraph of her blog entry)
Thanks to her blog, I saw a photo containing the address of the Quezon City post office. I had an idea it was somewhere near that place but I don't want to waste time and go round and round during working hours and just waste my precious time there.



It took me half a day all in all just to search where to pick up the package. So, I went there to pick it up. Waited for around fifteen minutes in window 15 because (I hope you won't need to wait thirty minutes on window 30 LOL) no one was there and the people there weren't helpful and proactive enough to call the person assigned in window 15. I was still in a good mood that time so I just patiently waited.

Next, Something beyond my logic can comprehend
My mood went from good to bad when I opened the letter that was sent to me. I got a letter from Bank of Commerce.

You know what's in that letter? The letter was dated April 25, 2011. It contains my account details and the amount I have in that account. What ticked me off was what's written in the letter. It said there that when they don't get a frigging reply within ten days, they will assume that everything is correct.



I was like WTF! 10 days and you send letters like this via snail mail? I got the registry notice on June 2. The envelope had a date stamped saying that Paranaque post office sent out the mail on May 23, 2011 and arrived at Quezon City Post Office on May 25, 2011. How intelligent can a bank like Bank of Commerce be? Sending an urgent letter via snail mail? And hey, to make things worst, I got the registry notice on June 2, 2011.

Maybe I missed something here. Can someone please explain?

First, it was such a hassle picking up a non-sense-slash-useless delayed mail during working hours because the post office is a government office and doesn't do overtime. Second, whether the details in that letter asking me to confirm the amount written is right or wrong, I was in a no-choice-scenario because it was already very late and the bank can screw me up if they wanted to and tell me, "oh, you didn't reply within 10 days blah blah.."

Good thing, everything written was correct but that doesn't change the fact that it was such a hassle looking for instructions on what to do with that registry notice, searching information on how to go to the post office and the time spent going there. And you wonder why the post office is not earning? Srsly.
“We are losing P150 million to P200 million a year. It is foregone income.”Philpost, a government-owned and controlled corporation, is an income-generating agency that fully relies on its income to cover its expenditures. -Postmaster General Hector Villanueva (source)
Have you ever thought about why we don't use the post office much anymore? It's because they assume that everyone knows where the post office is. They assume that people know the process in sending and claiming packages when the fact is, we are living in a nation where a lot of public transport drivers cannot even understand road signs with huge drawings and bold letters. In fact, I was thinking of sending some legal letters/ documents a few months back and until now, I haven't sent it because of the lack of information.

I hope that the government revamp their websites and make it really helpful and informative rather than just look good. It's a perfect example of beauty without brains. Only, those websites aren't EVEN good looking. So I guess they're just there to exist without a purpose.

Phil Post Main Page (Index)
And to Bank of Commerce, I know you guys can do better -- Heck, you're owned by San Miguel. Thank you for the half-day hassle. None of my other banks were like you.

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


24 comments:

Animetric said...

What sucks even more is when they try to tax you for the package. I don't know how they compute it but you pay more or less the amount of what you're claiming.

Ryan Vargas said...

I'm a "suki" na with PhilPost Makati branch and so far I never experienced anything bad whatsoever to think my package came from either US or Singapore.. If there's anything lang that I've noticed is they will let you open the package in their counter prior to them allowing you to take it home.. Kinda hassle but then since I'm always (hmm, every 2 weeks) there, I kinda get used to it na.. There's one instance though wherein someone was claiming a package for someone, they did try to open it, however, when the postman(?) saw the recipient's address which is a certain embassy, they apologized to the authorized person and did not proceed with opening it.. At first I thought it's unfair but then again, I don't want to get in trouble by asking.. Hehehe..

Sheila said...

it's a lesson not only to you but also to us who have not yet experienced this so that we've an idea on what to do in case we receive notice from the post office..

My question is, where do we find the adress of the post office in our city?

Unknown said...

We live in suck a small city that our postman delivers my packages and mail at my work area. They sent you a registered letter. If it was just a small packet or a letter like in your case the postman ought to have knocked on your day and asked you to sign a logbook and presto mail delivered. But in cases of large packages, I usually have to retrieve it from our post office and pay the custom dues.
And yes, like any ordinary government office, the employees are more concerned on bickering and gossiping rather than entertaining the customers. And yes, I have lost registered packages as well (sent them to my mom in the UK). Registered mail are truly the slowest snail mail of all because its supposed to be insured.
Glad that you blogged about your experience!

Santelmo said...

yup...same thing happened to my package from the US, i was notified weeks after it arrived at the QC Post office. it's a good thing we are familiar with the location. we pass by it every time we go to the registrar of deeds.

Toni Rose said...

i dont know why snail mail in our country literally beats a snail when it comes to the slowest service.

i mean, if a snail and our post office had a race, I bet a real snail would win.

walang systema.

when i send cards from here in the states to manila. cards are mailed immediately but it lies on out post office 2-3 weeks, even longer...

im even thankful that they arrived..

sheesh...


do post offices really get a lot of packages that they cant organize themselves?? or are the employees wasting too much time on facebook while at work.

Unknown said...

The time I received my notification, I didn't know which postal office to go to. Tapos when I got there, it was fast to claim my package.

Anonymous said...

@ Rowena Wendy Lei:
I think you may be barking at the wrong tree.. Philpost doesn't charge you for anything other than the 40php storage fee.. Who charges you are the people from the bureau of customs. Some items from electronic gadgets to tobaccos and wines etc. were considered to be taxable according to customs law.. the bad thing is they charge you equivalent to the amount declared on the customs declaration form.

Anonymous said...

Do I have to pay taxes for items that cost below $50?

Anonymous said...

do i have to pay tax for items that cost less than $50?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it very much. I also received a notice for the first time from Phil Post. I am not sure if i will be getting the mail or parcel. I called my relatives abroad and the balikbayan box is still with them. Definitely no package from my relatives. Also, i did not order anything online abroad. If this is just a letter from Bank of Commerce or any banks or establishments here, i would not waste my time picking it up. Hehehe why can't they indicate the sender's name on the Registry Notice to avoid the hassle... Tsk tsk tsk...

Anonymous said...

Can't claim anything because I haven't received any claim card for the past 3 items I've ordered on ebay. It's like someone in the main post office stealing my package.

Anonymous said...

Can't claim anything because I haven't received any claim card for the past 3 items I've ordered on ebay. It's like someone in the main post office stealing my package.

Anonymous said...

Can't claim anything because I haven't received any claim card for the past 3 items I've ordered on ebay. It's like someone in the main post office stealing my package.

Anonymous said...

Can't claim anything because I haven't received any claim card for the past 3 items I've ordered on ebay. It's like someone in the main post office stealing my package.

Ron Salvador said...

Can't claim anything because I haven't received any claim card for the past 3 items I've ordered on ebay. It's like someone in the main post office stealing my package.

Anonymous said...

I share the same sentiment with you, "anonymous".I have separately ordered 3 items on amazon and as per tracking number, all three have already arrived as of September 4, and 5. Up to now I still don't have any claim card.

Anonymous said...

Do we really have to wait for the claim stub/letter from the post office to arrive or can we go there with an ID and claim a package?

Samaine said...

I got a notice slip and at the same time registry notice. I was just wondering kung anu yung difference nang dalawa? Yesterday, pumunta ako sa Post Office and I claim my parcel using the notice slip. Yung Registry Notice is still in my possession. So pano yun? HElp please..

Miabia said...

Hi, I send a package to my brother in Manila containing used baby clothes from the UK. In my declaration I remember it says "Used Baby Clothes" and the amount says >50£. My brother received a notice from Post office and when he went to claim the package, they asked him to pay 40 pesos and another 1,800pesos (i don't really remember the exact amount, but not lower than 1,800 pesos. Why the hell he has to pay tax and whatever for a used clothes. He never managed to claim the package because he didn't have the money. I tried to call the contact number of Philpost from their website direct from the UK but unfortunately nobody answers the phone, I wrote email to the costumer support but until now after a week I didn't get a reply. I tried their online chat but everytime it says not available at the moment, try again later. What is wrong with Philpost?????

Miabia said...

Hi, I send a package to my brother in Manila containing used baby clothes from the UK. In my declaration I remember it says "Used Baby Clothes" and the amount says >50£. My brother received a notice from Post office and when he went to claim the package, they asked him to pay 40 pesos and another 1,800pesos (i don't really remember the exact amount, but not lower than 1,800 pesos. Why the hell he has to pay tax and whatever for a used clothes. He never managed to claim the package because he didn't have the money. I tried to call the contact number of Philpost from their website direct from the UK but unfortunately nobody answers the phone, I wrote email to the costumer support but until now after a week I didn't get a reply. I tried their online chat but everytime it says not available at the moment, try again later. What is wrong with Philpost?????

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!i just want to ask where is the address of qc philpost?thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Received my registry notice from Philpost QC just this afternoon. There's no address written where to claim it, but good thing I came across this blog.

I'm wondering why there's a note on my registry notice stating it's subject to customs examination even if the value of the item is just below $50. What I know an item to be taxable if the value exceeds $250.

Is there anyone who can help provide info on the basis for computing custom duties by Philpost before I go there to pickup my parcel this coming week?

Anonymous said...

Philpost sucks and it seems we can't do anything about it