Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Smart LTE Speedtest around Metro Manila

Have you updated your Smart iPhone 5 to version iOS 6.1? If not, do so now because you can now access LTE! As per inquiry with Smart, the first batch of users who can use LTE are those who subscribed to their iPhone 5 postpaid data plans.


After your update, you can now enable LTE by going to Settings > General > Cellular then enable LTE.

Started the day by attending a Q and A / Mini press conference about Smart's LTE @ Jump Center in SM Megamall. That's when I did my first speedtest of the LTE. By the way, I'm already on a Smart iPhone 5 Data Plan since December 2012.
First LTE speedtest @ SM Megamall Jump Center
Left Megamall. I still have LTE signal! :)
After a good great lunch hosted by Smart, I left quarter to 2 because I have a "Makati route" to deliver something. I decided to check out areas that has LTE signals and do speedtest on them. Since I was driving alone, I wasn't able to monitor the "LTE" signal indicator the entire time. From Megamall, I went to Makati and here are my results. (Do not attempt to do this on your own. Very risky driving and doing screenshots.)


There was no traffic and that's why I wasn't able to check my phone often! (Good job MMDA!) Reached Ayala Avenue from the northbound of SM Megamall in just 20 minutes! LTE signal, check! Download speed around 21.23Mbps! :)

Greenbelt 3 Smart LTE download speed: 36.05 Mbps! :) 
EDSA near Buendia LTE Speedtest: 24.06Mbps!
EDSA - Orense near Guadalupe LTE speedtest: 27.67 Mbps!
EDSA - Cubao LTE Speedtest: 29.07Mbps!
EDSA - Quezon Avenue LTE Speedtest: 30.41Mbps!
As I entered Quezon Avenue, the LTE signal got lost. Not sure at what point but when I checked, I was already inside the Araneta Avenue - Quezon Avenue underpass. I did have 3G signal though. When an area has no LTE signal, it switches to 3G like how some areas that have no 3G switches to Edge and once there is LTE signal again, it automatically connects to the LTE signal.

When I was around EDSA- Cubao, I did a screenshot of the map and did a speedtest. Time was around 2:37pm. After that, I decided to download a game just to see how fast LTE was. Well, it went so fast that I didn't even have time to screenshot the start of it. The moment I clicked it, it just zipped through and by the time it was done, it was still 2:38 (I even had to enter my password to download the app). The game I downloaded randomly was "Dark Nebula". Total size of that game is 26.1MB. (iTunes link here)

Downloaded a 26MB game in 5-10 seconds!
It's my first day of trying out LTE and I'm enjoying it a lot! Never thought we'd experience this kind of speed here in the Philippines! If I were you, I'd take advantage of this UNLIMITED (No cap) LTE from Smart. It's going to be like that until April 30, 2013. After that, we shall wait for Smart's announcement.

Areas with LTE coveragehttp://www1.smart.com.ph/bro/lte/locations
(They are continuously increasing coverage)

By the way, good news for those who got the LTE Mobile Wifi plans. Smart extended the UNLI LTE promo until March 31 2012! :)

#Livemore!

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


-->

0 comments: