Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cambodia: First Impression

Just landed in Siem Reap via Cebu Pacific tonight around 10pm local time here. Prior to landing, I noticed it was almost pitch black. Just a light here and there but as soon as we landed, I was impressed with their airport!


It reminded me of Balinese design. Even though they have a small airport, it was organized and neat!


It just took us a few minutes to get out of the plane and out the airport. Once out of the airport, we were met by our hotel pickup service.

On the way to the hotel, it felt like I was in one of the more modern provinces in the Philippines. Our driver was also kind enough to introduce us to some of the basic information about Siem Reap. He also told us that Filipino series 'teleserye' is very hot in Cambodia right now. After telling me that, he whipped up his phone and showed me a photo of Marian Rivera. He told me that everyone in Cambodia knows Ding Dong and 'Marimar', which I assumed that it was Marian she was talking about with a follow up question, "are they really a couple?" Honestly, I do not know because I don't know much about showbiz but I just said yes because I didn't want to disappoint him and I have a hunch that they really are. So, sorry if they are not.


We arrived in our hotel and I loved their service! First class! They hand you a cold towel, a refreshing lemon grass juice drink while they  ask you to fill up some forms and your passport. After that, we left our stuff inside the room and went out to have late dinner.

The hotel also gave us a mobile phone we can use to call them while we are out and they also provide tuktuk service to and from the city up to 11pm.

Their drivers dropped us along pub street. Let me put it this way, pub street is like you being transported to another city not very cambodia-like. Full of life and music and partying!



The streets might look empty but the restaurants were not. We are not here to party but just to grab a quick bite before we end the day. 

Going back to the hotel, we got our own tuktuk service and paid $2.50(yes, they accept USD) and it was already 1230am Cambodia time (130am Manila time).

Long day tomorrow visitng the Angkor Wat. Goodnight!:) 

0 comments: