Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Macarons in Manila: Bizu, TWG, Chez Karine and Tous Les Jours

Macarons have been starting to tap the Asian Market and Manila is not an exception. I remember trying my first macaron 2 years back made by my husband's cousin and that was really good. I consider Laduree to have one of the best macaron although the price of which don't really do justice because a piece was around 175~180 Php converted to peso when we tried it in Hong Kong. Husband and I didn't have the chance to taste this in Europe because the queue was really long but I would think that the cost there will be cheaper as France is the original birthplace of macarons and  Laduree.

I'm not the person who loves going out but the past few days, we've tried a few establishments here who offers macarons and I'd like to share them with you.

1. Bizu - what I loved about their macarons is the crumbs and fillings are fresh. The moment you get to bite it, it slowly melts in your mouth. If you will not be eating them immediately after purchase, I suggest that you refrigerate them first for 30 minutes when you get home so that you get to fully enjoy it. For me, their Salted Caramel and Chocolate flavoured macarons are the best among the rest of the flavors that they have. Their Price is Php 55.00 per piece and take away is also available in boxes of 8, 14 or 28.

2. TWG - I was impressed about this place because they can actually recommend you what tea best pairs your macarons. At Php 55.00 per piece plus service charge, you get to enjoy quality food and drinks with good service and ambiance. We have only tried 4 kinds: Napoleon Tea & Caramel, Earl Grey Fortune & Chocolate, Vanilla Bourbon Tea & Kaya, Moroccan Mint Tea. Of the four, we re-ordered the caramel one and do not be misled because even if the color is not appetizing, you'll be surprised with the twist of caramel goodness infused inside this black macaron. We ordered Smoky Earl Grey tea (Php 195.00 + service charge) to compliment our macarons and it was good as it neutralizes your taste buds after every sip. Considering that TWG is actually a tea specialty store, they have one of the best macarons in town. I will definitely go back here. Macarons can also be bought  for take away and gift boxes are also available.

3. Chez Karine - has a different concept in its store as you would recognize it from afar because of the brightness of their lighting. Located at the busy Serendra area in Bonifacio Global City, it only has a small seating capacity as most people who order here either eat the macarons immediately or bring it home after enjoying a meal from nearby restaurants. We ordered Dark Chocolate, Red Velvet, Coffee, and Salted Caramel. I liked the Chocolate and the Coffee flavours. As for the Caramel, I preferred the Bizu one better and I wasn't able to appreciate red velvet much because it lacks flavor compared to the other macarons that we ordered. Each macaron is priced at Php 50.00 each and take-out/gift boxes are available.

4. Tous Les Jours - I only get to taste their green-tea and chocolate. I was afraid to buy more as it was only my first time to try it out. I liked their green tea and their chocolate macaron was a bit chewy. What I also noticed was that their macaron also differed in sizes as the green apple flavored one was bigger compared to the chocolate - the latter may be a premium flavor one but I think they could still improve their macarons. Their price is Php 28.00 per piece and they do have take-away boxes as well.

I know there are still a lot of macaron places that we haven't been to and we'd also like to hear from you so that we could also check them out!

LaNnA
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Nuffnang Ads

1 comments:

Meikah said...

I like that of TWG. :D