Thursday, November 17, 2011

Apple iPod Nano 1st Gen Recall

http://instagr.am/p/Ugccu/

The other day, I saw a news regarding the recall of the iPod Nano first gen. I got excited because I have one and I still use it from time to time but the battery life is not long for this unit. I usually charge it using my MiLi power pack to extend the battery life.

Updated Dec 19, 2011 3:50pm (Check out the bottom part for the update)

Charging my iPod Nano using the MiLi Power Pack for iPhone
According to Apple,
Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.
This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Problem is, after checking Apple official site about the iPod Nano recall process, Philippines isn't included in the list.
If your country is not listed, online service is not available for your location
Basing it on that statement, I am assuming that we won't be able to avail of the online delivery option. Next thing I checked is with the Apple Resellers/ Service Centers here in the Philippines. I sent them an (Digital Hub, Switch, Power Mac Center, iStudio) email:
Hi, 
Apple issued an iPod Nano 1st gen recall. Can I avail the replacement from you guys? Do you have news on what the replacement would be? Thanks!
In less than 20 minutes, the fastest one to reply was Power Mac Center (Kudos to their online customer service)

Here's the reply from Power Mac Center:
Good day! The said Recall Program of Apple is applicable to the units which has a Battery issue or problem. You have an option to bring your unit in our Service Centers so that our iPod Technician can validate the said problem. The unit will be subjected for escalation to Apple.Please refer to the attached file below for the locations of our Service Centers.
I replied that I was eligible for the recall program based on the Apple website. Apparently, they said that,
It wil be subjected to escalation to Apple.   Just visit any of our Service Centers so that our iPod Technician can evaluate your unit and escalate it to Apple.
Does this mean that they won't change our units here in the Philippines? Basing it from what I have read, Apple is issuing a "no questions asked" recall. Just give your unit back and 6 weeks after, they will send you another unit. Not fair if the process won't be the same here in the Philippines.

Are you eligible for the recall?
Link: How to know if you are eligible for the recall
Since Philippines isn't part of the drop down option in the countries, I just placed "United States" as my choice. I then entered my serial number as requested.


After entering the serial number, I was asked to login to my account and they asked for my details, including home address etc. I am assuming then that I am eligible. (Correct me if I am wrong because others got a different message.)


What about for us here in the Philippines? Will we get a brand spanking new iPod Nano in exchange for our old iPod Nano first gen? Not yet sure but from what I have read, we'll also get an iPod Nano first gen in exchange of our unit. Not bad in my opinion, because the battery life of the iPod Nano first gen is really short. But if they are exchanging it for the newest iPod Nano 6th gen? I'd be very very happy!!!! I would like to get one and turn it into a watch! I've been wanting one ever since!

7th gen iPod Nano FTW!

I'll visit one of the local service centers here soon and I'll let you guys know. Whether they are just changing the batteries, issuing an iPod Nano first gen or the newest Nano, all is good because you can now use your Nano again! keep your fingers crossed and start looking for your antique Nano!


Discussions about the iPod Nano 1st gen recall:
http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=78262&page=5
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1274661
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3485203?start=0&tstart=0

More news about the iPod Nano first generation recall:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/16/apple-recalls-ipods-safety-fears
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2062147/Apple-iPod-Nano-recall-earliest-model-If-new-free.html
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57323628-248/apple-early-ipod-nanos-can-overheat-send-in-for-free-replacement/
http://mashable.com/2011/11/12/ipd-nano-recall
http://gizmodo.com/5858916/apple-recalls-the-first-gen-ipod-nano-over-toasty-battery-issues

Update: Nov 18, 2011 9:30am
iStudio replied to my inquiry yesterday:
This Is Rey from technical support.You can bring your iPod nano for service to any Apple Service Provider. But if you are interested in our service, you can bring it to us and we will be glad to assist you.   
BTW, your iPod nano must be working and it was sold between Sept 2005 and Dec 2006 to qualify in this program.
From his statement, I'm assuming that they are changing the batteries and not the entire unit. If that's the case, this is great news for those who has a custom engraved iPod Nanos! I asked him whether the replacement would be just the battery or the entire unit. Here's the response,
Thank you for that information.Your iPod will be sent back to Apple.Since this a recall program and its first for iPod, we still have no idea if Apple will replace the unit or just replace the battery.
Apparently, they are also not sure about what the replacement would be. Good to know that at least, they'll be sending the iPod Nano back since online is not an option for Philippine residents.

Will post update soon as they reply. I might also visit an Apple center later.

Update: Nov 19, 2011 11:30am
I just went to the Power Mac Center in SM Megamall. I inquired regarding their iPod Nano 1st gen recall policy. They said that I should call the service center first to check if my iPod Nano is eligible for the recall. I also asked if they will give me a new iPod Nano in exchange. They said that a refurbished iPod Nano first gen will be the one issued in exchange for the recalled Nano. They said that the condition would be new because I asked if there would be scratches at the back (chrome part) if the unit issued is already refurbished.

Power Mac Service Center number to call: 725-4762
Main service center, Northeast Square, 47 Connecticut st, San Juan city


Update: Nov 19, 2011 7:00pm
I went to the iStudio service center in Tomas Morato and left my iPod Nano first generation with them. They said that my unit will be under evaluation and they will inform me once my unit is confirmed eligible for the recall program. The guy inspected my iPod and wrote on the remarks portion,
With scratches and stain on front
I don't know if that will affect the unit that I will receive but I am proud to say that the unit I surrendered still has the original plastic intact. The one it came with when the iPod Nano was still brand new. I explained to him (to be named later if needed) that, the scratches and "stain" he saw is on the plastic protector and not in the actual unit because I have never removed that plastic ever since it was bought. He didn't bother to change it and said it's okay after I asked him if that is actually okay.

I am expecting a flawless iPod Nano (which I expect to get. Read this), even if it is refurbished because the iPod Nano I sent back is almost flawless, except for some minute hair line scratches at the back (chrome part). They let me sign a form and asked me to keep it and wait for their email.

They also confirmed that I will be getting an iPod Nano first gen, same color and not the latest iPod Nano 6th gen. There goes my Nano watch hope hahaha. At least I get new batteries with it because that is the iPod I actually use until now.

I will keep updating this blog post until I get my replacement unit.

Update: Dec 19, 2011 3:50pm
Still no reply regarding the status of my iPod Nano from iStudio after a month. :/

When I left my Nano last month, they said that I'll get an email the following week. One month has passed, still no email. I even emailed them to follow up. They forwarded my concern to the Tomas Morato branch because my unit is there. After that, no reply from Tomas Morato branch.

Dec 19, 2011 4:23pm (iStudio reply)
The repair was already placed/ordered to Apple and it is still on process.
Update: Jan 26, 2011
I got a text around 3pm in the afternoon informing me that I can already claim my replaced iPod Nano. To my excitement, I texted back asking if the replacement was the 6th gen. The staff from Senco Link confirmed and that.made.my.day.

My new iPod Nano 6th Gen:
http://cheftonio.blogspot.com/2012/01/ipod-nano-1st-gen-replaced-with-6th-gen.html

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



-->

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

please do update!

BoredBumbero said...

that's the problem with the philippines! too much red tape - things that are supposedly free worldwide suddenly has enormous charges in this country

jean said...

thanks for the information very helpful sir

William said...

Thanks for this! I got the leather and sporty case.. nice!

William said...

Also, thank you for the updates. The new cases are waiting for the arrival of my white nano :)

Bbby said...

2nd gen ba yun plastic likod? aw sayang. mahina na din ang battery ko kala ko mapapalitan na

Mike said...

Well just been on the Apple site typed in the serial no of my Nano and yes I am getting a new one! I don't use it to be honest so that's a nice festive bonus on it's way :-)

TIger said...

This is why people like Apple, this is one of the reasons people trust and support this brand........... Sure at sometime everything goes wrong, but the good companies that endear themselves to the public are the ones who face up to the shortcomings and reward the customer with loyalty and good service.

sumthinblue said...

I sent mine to Power Mac in November. They just texted today that my replacement unit is ready for pickup -- and it's a 6th gen nano. There's a disclaimer, though that this 6th gen unit is for this particular batch of replacements only, and that other batches may receive a different unit.

Picking it up tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

can you suggest apple branches where i can have my ipod nano replaced?

Anonymous said...

I had mine replaced in PowerMac Greenbelt. Actually, I got the replacement in 1 week lang. And yes, the replacement is Ipod Nano 6th gen. Very cool! ;-)

Cheftonio said...

That was fast! 1 week? To those asking, you know where to go hehe.

I already got a watch strap. Sad though that the ones available here in the Ph isn't that nice.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Can I know the email address you used when you emailed them? Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

share naman ng email address ng MAC

Cheftonio said...

Sure. Here it is:

info@istudio.ph

Zarry said...

Great blog, thanks for the information you provided. I love the cases.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was wondering if the replacement program is still on going?? Thank you :)

Cheftonio said...

^ You can try but I doubt :)

Anonymous said...

I called power mac service center and told me that it's still in going. Hopefully my ipod is eligible for the program. I checked the serial number and the same info sheet appeared :) thank you so much for this blog post