Monday, November 24, 2014

Torque Droidz Atom S Review

Torque is one of the many phone brands present in the Philippines offering affordable Android touch screen phones and tablets. They've been operating since 2008 and has already established a market and name when it comes to affordable devices. Unknown to many, buying affordable devices doesn't mean that you are purchasing a substandard product. It might be true for some but, for others like Torque, they are just offering affordable working products.


I've had the Torque Droidz Atom S with me for a few weeks now and coming from high-end units, I'm quite impressed. This sub-three thousand peso unit works like those more expensive branded units. For one, the battery life is odd for me but in a good way. Why? Spec list shows that this device has 1600mAh battery capacity. From my actual experience where I inserted (2) two SIM cards and took a few calls, the device lasted for 3 days with 1/4 battery life left (mostly on standby) -- That's impressive!

Unintentionally, I dropped the phone from my pocket to the tiled floor of Starbucks. The battery, battery cover and the phone fell and got separated from each other. Guess what? Everything still works fine and I can't even see where it hit the floor-- no scratches or dents. That's weird for such an affordable phone. This is not the first Torque phone I had. Years ago, I had one of their triple-SIM phones which still works until now. This is why I said that not all affordable phones are substandard.

While it only has an Antutu score of 12102, it performs really well for such a low priced device. I use it as my secondary phone now as a back-up for my main phone and I've got no problems running the apps I use in my iPhone here like Waze, Google Maps, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, and Spinnr. Although those apps might seem very easy to run, they are the apps that are useful for a lot of people. If you are in the market for a capable gaming phone, this is not it. But, it can run some of my favorite games smoothly like Zombie Tsunami, Angry Birds Epic, and Clash of Clans.

Camera-wise, it's not stellar in terms of performance. It's good as a back-up camera in case you suddenly need one. It's also good for taking notes or when you need to snap a photo in the middle of a crowded street without the fear of someone grabbing it. And, an amusing feature I found was the "auto capture" when smile is detected. I've heard of that feature before on highend cameras and it's only now that I have encountered it again. Check out some of the sample photos below, taken using the Torque Droidz Atom S:

Photo sample #1: Outdoor
Photo sample #2: Under a light
Photo sample #3: Details
Photo sample #4: Text
Photo sample #5: with flash on

Torque Droidz Atom S Specifications:
•Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean)
•Dual sim, dual standby
•MT6572 1GHZ dual core CPU / Mali-400 MP / 32bit
•4.0” WVGA 480 x 800 pixels /  Capacitive touchscreen
•Multi-touch zoom
•HSDPA 7.2Mbps/HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
•3.5G HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100MHZ
•Quadband GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHZ
•ROM: 4GB/ RAM: 512MB
•Dual camera: 5MP rear W/ LED flash/2MP front
•Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth/ WiFi tethering
•GPS & A-GPS support
•FM radio
•3.5MM stereo headset jack
•Micro USB
•Micro SD up to 32 GB
•3-AXIS gyro/ accelerometer/ light sensor/
•Available in black or white
•1600mAh battery

Price: Php 2,899

Conclusion
I recommend this phone if you want a working Android phone with decent battery life. Highly recommended if you just want an Android back-up phone because of the dual-SIM feature.

For more information about the phone and Torque, visit their website:
http://www.lovekotorque.com
http://www.torque.ph

Torque Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/torquemobile

Cheftonio
PS. Liked the post? Subscribe to my blog by typing in your email below. You'll get my posts in your inbox via email.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

-->

0 comments: