Monday, March 28, 2011

Mobile Broadband Test: Globe and Sun VS PLDT MyDSL Business Line

Just got my new mobile broadband subscription yesterday. It was a hard decision to make -- Several weeks of decision making before making my final decision to get the Globe Superstick. I've blog about the Globe Superstick before but at that time, I still wasn't ready to get another mobile broadband subscription.



I finally decided to subscribe when I tried out their Bridge Data Roaming Unlimited service when I went out of the country weeks ago. (Read about Unlimited Data Roaming from Globe here) I've yet to post a review about that service very soon.

Last Saturday, I submitted my Globe Superstick application and requirements to a Globe business center. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Globe Superstick plan 1299 on stock and told me to wait for their call. Impatient me, that night, I went to a 'lesser populated' mall to check out if they have a unit available. Unfortunately, it wasn't also available.



I finally decided to just wait. Yesterday, A Sunday (March 27,2011), I went to Eastwood mall with my family. I wasn't expecting to check out the Globe store there. I just wanted to inquire something about the Free Globe-to-Globe SMS included in the Superstick plan 1299 package. Trying out my luck, I inquired if they have a unit available. I got so excited when she said that it was available!

Good thing that my set of Globe application requirements were still in the boot of my car! I immediately got the requirements and submitted another application. I double checked if it was okay to resubmit an application as I've already submitted it in another branch and she told me it was okay.

After 24 hours, which is roughly a few hours back, my Globe sim was already active! I immediately tested it and here are the results:


Globe Superstick Speedtest (Postpaid)


Sun Broadband Speedtest (Postpaid)


PLDT MyDSL Business Line Speedtest


Summary:
Globe Superstick Plan 1299 
Download: Max 1657 / Avg 1657
Upload: Max 181 / Avg 176

Sun Broadband Plan 649 (add-on to Plan 350 Sun call and text unlimited)

Download: Max 418 / Avg 415
Upload: Max 64 / Avg 62

PLDT MyDSL Biz 4mbps plan

Download: Max 1113 / Avg 893
Upload: Max 327 / Avg 327

All tested under the same conditions.

For me, it's amazing how a mobile broadband beat a land based business DSL subscription.

I have yet to test the reliability of the service because as far as I know, my business DSL subscription was never down and no matter how my usage of it is, there are no limits. I think Globe can achieve the same but let's wait and see.


Cheftonio

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I was given a Globe Visibility SIM by the company, which I use on a MyFi unit. It amazes me that the connection is fast and continuous compared to my Bayan wired DSL, which get disconnected every after 3 mins. I was told that Bayan got affected by the Japan tsunami. Arggh!

Cheftonio said...

@Glenn,

Amazing right? They have improved a lot and because of that, I got a postpaid line from them.

BayanDSL got affected? that sucks man. If I remember it correctly, does Sky Broadband share with Bayan DSL?

John said...

Hi Cheftonio,

I've been browsing the net for reviews on this superstick. Now, they upgraded the 3mbps to 5mbps and I am planning to get one. Hopefully, the signal in my locations (Ortigas business district and Mindanao Ave. QC) will be good. I'm just wondering, how's the performance of your Globe Superstick? May I ask the location where you are usually using it? How is the upload speed? I would need that more than the download speed.

Hope to get some inputs from you! Thanks a lot in advance!

John

Cheftonio said...

@John,

Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference since they announced the upgrade. The speed is fast though so I'm quite excited to feel the difference.

As per testing right now, download speed is 1.3mbps and upload speed is 0.4mbps.

Basing it from my previous subscription years back, this is a super great improvement.

Cheftonio

Anonymous said...

All 3 of those speed tests are horrible, are you not upset at how slow they all are? You won't be streaming any high def video or using any voip apps with stable call quality with any of those

John said...

Thanks for your response Cheftonio. I just read it now. May I ask where your location usually is when you use your superstick? Like what I've mentioned, I'll be using it in Ortigas and T. Sora and I just want to be sure that I'll be getting the best service because I'll be tied up with a 2-year contract if I get this one.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mobile Broadband Blogger said...

Mobile broadband has definitely improved a lot in the Philippines and throughout the world.